June is here, SUMMER! Yay! This is the time of the year for fun outdoor activities and parties with friends, having nice cocktails and good food. The featured recipe is a wonderful summertime lemon, garlic and rosemary grilled chicken skewer. I am pairing it with “Mexican street corn” which is amazing and a must try!
Enjoy with a nice chilled Chardonnay from Bottles
Submitted by Holly Specht, My Chef Lara
Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary Chicken Skewers
For the marinade:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- finely grated lemon zest from 1 medium size lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in 3/4-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for basting
Combine olive oil, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. Stir well to combine.
Cut up chicken and place in a zip lock bag. Add the marinade and massage bag with your hand to work the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate for one hour. (If prepping in advance, cut the chicken and place in a zip lock bag. Make the marinade and keep in a separate bowl, covered in refrigerator. Combine one hour before grilling and proceed with directions.)
Use wooden skewers and soak them in water while the chicken is marinating.
Remove chicken from refrigerator after one hour. Thread the chicken onto skewers, leaving space for holding at the ends of each skewer. Discard the marinade. Sprinkle the chicken lightly with kosher salt and a bit of freshly ground black pepper.
Preheat the grill to medium, about 350˚F.
Oil the grill grates well. Grill skewers for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees, or until chicken is firm to the touch, no longer pink in the center and beginning to turn golden and have grill marks. The internal temperature should be 165˚F. Turn skewers occasionally and baste lightly with olive oil.
Mexican street corn
- 2 – 10 ounce bags steam fresh frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice from one lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces low fat feta cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (leave the seeds in for extra spice!)
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons franks red-hot sauce or Sriracha
Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high heat and add in corn. I cooked it for about 7-8 minutes until it was slightly browned.
Take corn off of heat and toss with all other ingredients.
Serve as side dish or as a dip with tortilla chips!