Tossing in frozen green peas at the end of cooking keeps them bright and lively.
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 (8.5-ounce) pouches precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben’s)
- 2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup cubed reduced-sodium ham
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
1. Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside.
2. Combine soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl. Heat a wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add ham; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer ham to soy sauce mixture.
3. Add egg to pan; cook 30 seconds. Remove from pan; chop.
4. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add mushrooms and next 5 ingredients (through ginger); stir-fry 2 minutes. Add rice; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add ham mixture and peas; cook 2 minutes. Stir in egg.
Adapted from My Recipes.com